Today we have presented our submission to the government’s Conversion Practices Prohibition Legislation Bill.
From today we will start counting the days until all forms of conversion therapies are banned in Aotearoa New Zealand. Our hope is that this page will only need to be appended a few times with further activities to remind the government of its commitment to banning conversion practices and of its commitment to human rights, including all the rights articulated in the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which our government has ratified in 2008.
- 16 September 2021: RNZ: Autistic Collaboration Trust member Jorn Bettin called for the bill to protect neurodivergent people
- 15 September 2021: Our presentation to the Justice Select Committee
- 8 September 2021: Interview with Zazi Hewlett from 95bFM
- 7 September 2021: Our submission to the Justice Select Committee
- 12 July 2021: Launch of Te Hapori Whai Takiwātanga o Aotearoa, to educate the public about autistic culture and the needs of autistic people
- 11 June 2021: 4th panel discussion towards a ban of all forms of autistic conversion therapies
- 9 June 2021: 3rd panel discussion towards a ban of all forms of autistic conversion therapies
- 27 May 2021: 2nd panel discussion towards a ban of all forms of autistic conversion therapies
- 20 May 2021: 1st panel discussion towards a ban of all forms of autistic conversion therapies
- 14 May 2021: Ban of conversion therapies project, to keep track of all bans on conversion therapies and related initiatives towards bans worldwide
- 26 April 2021: Kane Bassett writes about our petition in Salient Magazine
- 22 April 2021: Our petition for an inquiry into the consequences of conversion therapies for autistic children
- 10 March 2021: Our appeal to extend the envisaged ban